To discuss your case and schedule a consultation, please feel free to email us at: or call the office at: (646) 558-3138
Monday , 05-27-2024
Contact Us
Expediting Processing For Employment Authorization And Advance Parole Documents – Immigration Lawyer New York
Home  » Blog  » Permanent Residence (green cards)  » Expediting Processing For Employment Authorization And Advance Parole Documents

Immigration Blog

Expediting Processing For Employment Authorization And Advance Parole Documents

By Michael H. Markovitch, Esq. on February, 08, 2022

Five years ago, USCIS routinely took three months to issue employment authorization documents (EADs) and advance parole (AP) travel documents. Prior to the pandemic, USCIS was taking approximately six months to issue them. Now, USCIS can take nine months or longer to issue these documents. These delays create huge hardships to organizations and individuals.


The best way to handle these delays is to plan ahead. You may file for an extension up to 180 days prior to the expiration of your EAD and AP. Plan to apply for an extension of the interim benefits the full six months before they expire. If applying for the initial EAD or AP, plan that it will be several months before it is issued and budget accordingly, taking into account current restrictions on international travel.


Requesting Expedited Processing


If the applicant must be fingerprinted, USCIS will not consider an expedite request until after the applicant has been fingerprinted.

Consequently, it is extremely difficult to expedite first-time applications.

USCIS may expedite the issuance of an EAD or AP in limited, specific circumstances:

  • Severe financial loss to a company or person, provided that the need for urgent action is not the result of the applicant’s failure:
    • to timely file the benefit request;
    • to timely respond to any requests for additional evidence.
  • Emergencies and urgent humanitarian reasons.
  • Nonprofit organization (as designated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)) whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States.
  • U.S. government interests (including urgent cases for federal agencies such as the U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Department of Labor, DHS or other public safety or national security interests).
  • Clear USCIS error.
  • Healthcare worker with a pending EAD renewal.


As a practical matter, USCIS is more likely to honor requests for expedited treatment by school districts or federal government agencies than requests based on severe financial loss or urgent humanitarian reasons. Also, nonprofit organizations that have a clear, easily understood, valuable public mission are more likely to have their requests honored.


Even if USCIS approves the expedited processing, it will take several weeks for the documents to be issued. Consequently, it may take at least a month to get an interim document.


If you have questions on expediting EADs and/or APs, we encourage you to reach out to our office:



Phone: (212) 947-7534

Facsimile: (212) 244-1845


Latest Posts

Recent Changes to Those Applying for Green Cards: An Overview of the New Public Charge Rule


Options and Strategies for Green Card Holders Currently Outside the United States Due to COVID-19

Filling Out USCIS Form I-944, Declaration of Self-Sufficiency

Know Your Rights If You are Detained At A Port of Entry (Greencard Holders)